The goal was to achieve a stunning series of images with little effort. A simple piece of good geometry, well shaded, textured and with with some very basic lighting.
Continuing my pursuit of creating interesting computer-generated artwork, one day I stumbled upon an old side project I started back in 2011 as a modeling exercise. Initially, I wasn’t quite sure how to show off the work in an adequate manner but after a few years in the project limbo, i finally resurrected the 'work in progress' model in early 2017 with the honest aim to finish the project for good this time.
The lighting setup was pretty much a basic three point lighting setup. No HDRi, no magic. Just a handful of arealights and a simple grey backdrop: I used two fill lights with a blue tint and a prominent key light with a warmer tone to achieve an interesting look. For some of the specular highlights I created a seperate arealight that was light-linked to get maximum control over the light values - thats it!